On 10 June 1944, the village of Oradour-sur-Glane in Haute-Vienne in Nazi-occupied France was destroyed when 642 of its inhabitants, including women and children, were massacred by a German Waffen-SS company.
A new village was built nearby after the war, but President Charles de Gaulle ordered the original maintained as a permanent memorial and museum.
Calke Abbey, in Derbyshire, was placed into the care of the National Trust in 1985 having fallen in to significant decline. The Trust decided to ‘repair, not restore’ the estate, leaving much of it as they found it just over thirty years ago.
These photos provide a glimpse into the old walled garden and the buildings around the gardens.
Looking forward to a fuller tour next weekend!